Government Polytechnic, Washim is established in August 1982. The institute conducts Engineering diploma courses in six different branches as (1) Civil Engineering-60 intake (2) Mechanical Engineering-60 intake (3) Automobile Engineering-60 intake (4) Electrical Engineering-60 intake (5) Electronics & Communication Engineering-60 intake (6) Information Technology-60 intake. The total intake capacity of institute is 360.
The institute is situated on Washim to Risod Road at 4 Km. away from Washim bus stand.
The institute has boys hostel of 176 capacity and ladies hostel for 48 capacity. Staff position of institute indicates 6 HODs, 14 lecturers, 33 supporting staff, Registrar 01, Office staff 17 and Contract basis lecturers 22.
Community Development Through Polytechnic activities has started in the institute under WBA from 1993-94. The scheme for community is in progress under DCA from 2000-2001. Every year target of manpower training is achieved alongwith achievement of other sub component.
The main objectives of the scheme are :
- To Carry out Need Assessment Surveys to assess the technology and traning needs.
- To Impart Skill Development Training to the intended target groups.
- To disseminate Appropriate Technologies for productivity enhancement.
- To provide Technical and Support Services to rural masses and slums dwellers.
- To create Awareness among the target groups about technological advancement and contemporary issues of importance.
ACTIVITIES UNDER THE SCHEME OF COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT THROUGH POLYTECHNICS
Following are the major activities identified under the Scheme of Community Development through Polytechnics :
- Need Assessment Surveys.
- Skill Development Training Programmes.
- Disseminate and Application of Appropriate Technologies.
- Technical and Support Services.
- Awareness Programmes.